Friday, August 7, 2015

Afterthought Labeling

It's not rocket science by a long shot. But recently when I realized I'd forgotten to sew in one of my preprinted quilt labels again, I knew I needed an alternative method. Now this isn't for those show quilts or to-be-gifted quilts. This is for the everyday quilt you just want your name on.
Easy peasy, but I figured if I thought it was fun, some of you might too. Now here's the disclaimer, the labels I have aren't available to new customers any more, which is a real shame, but maybe you have some other labels that will work equally well.

Cut a couple of matching rectangles out of coordinating scraps. Mine happen to be 2.5" x 3.5". Plus you'll need one of your preprinted labels. I'll show you what I did, and you can adapt as needed.
 Seam the 2 scraps - obviously you could use 1 larger scrap and fold it in half.
 Turn in 1/4" on all edges. Dab some fabric glue on those edges.
 Fold closed, tucking in your label on one side. Press well
 Machine stitch all the way around your 'tab,' then hand-sew to the back of your quilt.
And that's it! I told you it wasn't rocket science! But I think it fits the bill, right?

12 comments:

  1. what a fun idea, Debbie. I keep forgetting adding my labels all. the. time!!! Thanks for sharing this great way of adding the label to finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! Perfect solution to a belated label addition :) I love your backing fabric, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute. I need to look for some new labels. My original ones were a little thin for my liking but I was determined to use them up before I search out some better ones. they're almost gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable tab alternative. I'm the worst when it comes to labeling - in the old days I would make a big deal of them with photo transfer and sentimental messages. I've sent them off to friends/relatives thinking that I will add the label later and then never do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the tab concept here, not rocket science but I am inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks pretty too! I often slip mine in when I am hand stitching the binding down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you have such good ideas Debbie, thanks for sharing. Knowing you forgot to add one makes me feel better out forgetting a step ;-) We are all perfectly imperfect ;-)

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good idea, Debbie. I find I most often make my own labels (using Printed Treasures). Then, I never remember to sew in my custom name label!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clever idea, Debbie and it looks fantastic. Totally have to try this - thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clever idea Debbie. Where did you get your labels?

    ReplyDelete