Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Backs

When I shared a recent quilt finish, I was gently scolded for not showing off the quilt's back. I suppose I only do that when I do something I consider especially creative. But that doesn't mean I don't like the back. In fact, sometimes I like it alot. At any rate, here's some 2014 quilt backs you haven't seen . . .

Radiancy got one of my very favorite prints - Newspaper Strips from Carrie Bloomston's Collage.

All the prints in the front of Still Swooning were from a fat-eighth pack of Anna Maria Horner's Dowry. So for the back, I pieced together strips of 3 pieces of the same print in different colorways.

With Aurora {aka Northern Lights} being all in solids, for the back I chose 2 stash prints - Cat Mint from Catnap by Lizzy House and Metro Living Ring Dots in Pewter. Simple, but I like. Seriously, I could back just about every quilt in Metro Living Rings.

Lastly, ástərisk got a single piece of Madrona Road by Violet Craft. I confess I was a little sad it took all I had, but it was a good fit. (Random: note how the faced binding shows off on the back more than a regular binding.)

So there! True confessions revealed. Nothing earth-shattering, but now you know. Sometimes I have the time, energy, and inspiration for something more unique, but usually my quilt backs are pretty basic. Just for fun, here's a link to a Quilt Backs Pinterest board where I add ideas as I come across them. If you have a favorite go-to quilt back, I'd love to hear about it!

9 comments:

  1. Great Show of so different quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for showing your backs! The AMH Dowry is gorgeous! By the time it gets to that backing stage I'm just grateful to find something that doesn't break the bank and works with the front! Besides, I'm usually thinking about cutting out the next quilt....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy seeing your quilt finishes. Today you are showing two of my favorites that you have made. Radiancy and Asterisk are so creatively beautiful. You do such beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your backs are great compliments to the tops. I'm so glad you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these back! I am particularly partial to the collage back though, and I sure know what you mean about using all of a print, for the sake of such a good fit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing the back of quilts, though I find as time goes by I prefer to have mine one fabric, it is still fun to see what others do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I hope you've learned your lesson! lol

    I only tend to show the backs when I've done some piecing (frequent) or to show off quilting I'm really proud of (almost never happens...), too, so I'm not sure why people get upset if you don't show it. I'm guessing these are the people at quilt shows who always have that plastic glove on and are lifting quilts and snooping peeks at the binding, etc... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always try to use leftovers from the font on the back of my quilts. (I guess I feel bad for those pieces that are showcased on the fronts). I had a blog post about it a month or so ago. Lately, I've been spending almost as much time trying to puzzle out the backs using all the odd bits and pieces as I have on some of the fronts!!! I end up with 2 completely different looks and that's turning out to be really fun and sometimes unexpected. Thank you for sharing your backs! I think they are hidden gems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always enjoy seeing what people do for quilt backs

    ReplyDelete