Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Tuesday at the Table

It'll be 80 some days before I report back on this post. Because hubby just started a fresh batch of limoncello, and that's how long it takes to 'brew'.
Though hubby and I definitely enjoyed limoncello when we were in Italy a few years ago, we actually first had it a few year's earlier at Ristorante Limoncello in Boston's Little Italy. We had never heard of it back then, but considering it was the restaurant's specialty and namesake, we gave it a try. And we were hooked.

We came home, searched the web, and the recipe I'm sharing today is our one and only and very similar to what our waiter told us.

LIMONCELLO
  15 thick-skinned lemons
  2 bottles 100-proof vodka -- 750 ml each 
       (The higher alcohol level will ensure that the limoncello won't turn to ice in the freezer.) 
  4 cups sugar
  5 cups water

To begin, you'll need a one gallon glass jar with a lid. Choose thick skinned lemons because they're easier to zest. Wash the lemons with a vegetable brush and hot water. Pat the lemons dry and remove the zest. Fill the jar with one bottle of the vodka and, as you remove the zest, add it to the jar. 

After combining the vodka and lemon zest, cover the jar and store it at room temperature in a dark cabinet or cupboard. There's no need to stir: all you have to do is wait. As the limoncello sits, the vodka slowly takes on the flavor and rich yellow hue of the lemon zest. 

After about 40 days, combine the sugar and water in a saucepan, bring it to a boil, and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Let the syrup cool before adding it to the limoncello mixture, along with the other bottle of vodka. Cover and return to the cupboard for another 40 days. 

Then simply strain the limoncello into bottles and discard the lemon zest. You can store the bottles in a cupboard, but always keep one in the freezer so it's icy cold when you're ready to drink it. Serve in chilled liqueur glasses.
Feel like joining us in making a batch? Then we'll all have something to celebrate when the time is right!

13 comments:

  1. LOVE Limoncello! Just never made my own.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I might have to do this, soon. I have a few lemons right now that I was thinking about packing with salt and preserving. And I just made a HUGE batch of orange marmalade, which of course included lemons and the zest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Definitely. When I saw the lemon zest on IG, I was hoping you were going to post. I have a Meyer lemon tree in the backyard that is bursting (a birthday present shortly after we moved here) with lemons. Thanks for the details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um...yum! I'm all about lemon...amazing how simple some of these homemade liquors are! I may have to try this :)
    www.sewcraftychick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously naive, I didn't even know what this was. haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just went to Italy for the first time this past October and we had Limoncello everywhere - especially in Sorrento where we were told that it originated. I bought a kitchen dish towel with the recipe on it... was going to try it -but if yours is tried and true - will use it!
    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Molto benne! Ah, so many fond memories with limoncello...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good! I'll have to remember that when we have enough lemons on our tree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Yer on! Limoncello sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I might have to try this! I'm a big fan of anything lemon and of course I love seeing how many things I can make from scratch, too. Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wondered what limoncello was! Now I know and am sorely tempted to join you in making some. Sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this, but not sure I can wait 80 days lol

    ReplyDelete