Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Zipping Along

So how's it going? The Triple-Zip Along is only three days in and I count 33(!) pouches that have already been made. Wow.

I finally got to work on mine tonight and took some more pics, hoping they'll be helpful to those of you who are just getting going. Here's the zipper ends ready to stitch on to the zips. I took a hint from the flickr group, and used fabric glue instead of pins for every step of the zipper installation - worked like a charm.
It helped me to lay the main fabrics out (fleece already adhered) along with the prepped zippers, before continuing on with the tutorial.
The photo below shows zipper #1B already stitched on. The lining piece gets folded face UP, topped with the  zipper and first accent piece. And an added note - there were several suggestions in the flickr group to use a walking foot when sewing on the zips, rather than a zipper foot. I found I still needed to stop mid-way across the zip, move the pull, and then continue stitching. But it's an option you can definitely try and see how it works for you.
Similar process for the second zip.
And again for the third:
Main (largest) lining face UP
Zipper #3 face UP, zipper pull to the left
Main body fabric face DOWN
And this is what you end up with before the finishing step. I'll be back to share that soon, along with an alternative method!

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Debbie - your photos are very helpful for these next steps as it is sometimes hard to picture what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cunning plan with the glue for zips, I'd never have thought of that

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will try the glue idea for the next one I make and yes, even with the walking foot I do move the zipper back and forth as I go. These are really great photos of the process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what great tips, thanks so much. Wish I had signed up to join in now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find the wash away seam tape - comes in a roll- the best for zippers. It makes zippers so simple.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These photos are so helpful! The initial tutorial doesn't specify that you have to fold the lining piece for it to end up face up and these photos make that really clear. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This certainly will be a lovely pouch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the invitation Debbie - I am reall hoping to join in. I just need to finish a couple of overdue bee blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. more pictures are always helpful! I finished mine yesterday just as Wyatt was coming home from school. Hoping to remember to take a couple of pictures before I wrap it up tomorrow! Thanks for all your work on this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yours looks so nice! I'm disappointed in mine, because I didn't sew the zipper tab ends as straight as the rest of the zipper. And, I somehow missed pressing those fusible pieces to the cotton fabric. Since I simultaneously made two of them, I now have two imperfect pouches. Darn.

    ReplyDelete